Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Preschool - Curriculum Starts Here

Growing up I started my educational career with a combination of private schools and homeschooling.  My mom taught me everything I needed to know before age 5, even though I never remember doing 'preschool' at home.

Our daughter is turning three this month and preschool is on the minds and in the conversations of nearly every mom I know with children her age. I can't count the number of times I've been asked "what are you going to do for preschool?"

Earlier this summer I came across a great little post on Pinterest of a mom that made up her own curriculum.  (You can view it HERE). I took the format of how she broke down her preschool weeks, and expounded upon them using the book 'My Big Preschool Workbook' by Schools Zone (Get it HERE ). I also found a lot of great books at the Dollar Tree to supplement learning in numbers, shapes, colors, and counting!

I ripped out the pages and divided them into folders for each week. I planned 4 weeks of activities per month.  That gives us the flexibility to have a week off now and then for catch up, vacation, or review.

I also didn't do the alphabet in order so I could synchronize different letters with different holidays or seasonally sensitive activities.  (Example:  L is for leaves is in the fall, R for Rabbit and Resurrection is right before Easter.). I can go a little whacky on the alliterations so be forewarned.

You can also follow my preschool Pintrest Board for more ideas of activities broken down by week.

No comments:

Post a Comment