Monday, October 23, 2017

Meal Planning and Grocery Lists

I've been trying for years to come up with a system that works for meal planning.  It's so nice to have meal ideas ready to go, but I didn't always like the "commitment".  The fear of committing to lasagna on Tuesday and then really feeling like chicken pot pie.  Never, fear.  I have solved the problem.

Attached below are two different meal planning guides that include everything you need for flexible meal planning and easy grocery shopping.  I'll explain..

Main Dishes and Meals
Here you can write out your meals for the week.  Each meal has a section to list items you have on hand and ingredients you need to purchase for that meal.  You can also choose to assign that meal to a day of the week...or leave it blank.

Snacks and Sides
This is where I put items on my grocery list that I like to keep "in stock" but not specifically for one meal.  For example, I keep fruit on hand for snacks.  We also have a well supplied snack bin in the pantry with granola bars, crasins, fruit snacks, etc.  If there is a snack item on sale, I list it here.  I also like to have some sides and side dishes in the fridge.  My fresh vegi's with dip or hummus would go here.  I also sometimes make a big batch of coleslaw, noodle salad, fruit salad, etc to keep in the fridge as an added side to meals that needs filled out...or as before bedtime snacks.  Those go in this section.  In my original design I didn't have a place for my sides with multiple ingredients (like the cold salads), so I added that in the updated version.  However, you can place those things under your Main Dishes and Meals if that works best for you.

We're Out!
This is where I list items as we use them up.  Last of the ketchup? "We're out!"  Used up the heel of bread? "We're out!"  I also put staple items that we may not quite be out of yet, but will run out of by the next grocery trip.  Like milk for example.  There may be an inch in the bottom of the jug, but that's not going to make it a week...so for all practical purposes, "We're Out!".

Stock Up
I like to stock up on items when they are on sale.  Especially, if they are items we use consistently or are deeply discounted.  As any savvy person should know, if you buy two when you only use one, and the other gets thrown out, you didn't save any money.  Here are my rules for stocking up...

1) Discount threshold.  I wanted to make an easy rule for a flat discount requirement to be "on sale" enough to stock up.  But in reality different items carry different sales.  For example, olives never go less than 99 cents, which is about 25% off.  When they hit that price I stock up.  Canned vegetables, on the other hand, can drop down to 35 cents in the fall which is over 50% off.  So in my head I have some set numbers for different products that I usually don't buy, let alone stock up on, unless they go below that price.  Because saving 10 cents on a box of pasta probably isn't worth the shelf space.

2) For items we use all the time and I would buy at regular price, because we need them and use them nearly weekly, I have a much looser rule.  Even if they are not very discounted, if I know I'm going to buy another one next week at full price, I'll buy two this week on sale, and save the small amount.

Other
This is your section to use however you choose.

Hope this is helpful in your meal planning!!!  I'd love to hear feedback.

Original Meal Planning/Grocery Template (Vertical)

Updated Meal Planning/Grocery Template (Horizontal)

No comments:

Post a Comment