Tuesday, April 20, 2010

5K Training

After a weekend retreat with my Elim Church Youth (ECY) group themed around "Happy and Healthy" I've decided to make a few lifestyle changes. I was very embarrased when I couldn't even run the whole obstacle course without almost dying. It's time I started working out more. I really need to get fit. I was talking to Susy Spencer yesterday and she would also like to get healthier so we're going to train for a 5K this summer. I found a training plan at http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml and have started it today. I feel about as fit as a potato so its a perfect plan for me. I started today, and will be blogging as the weeks progress.

WEEK ONE

5 min warm-up walk
Alternations of 60 seconds running and 90 seconds walking
TOTAL: 20 minutes

My plan is to work out Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday with the 5K training regiment and do push-ups, crunches, and streteches several time as week too.

Day One: April 20th

Well I made it. Day one down. I couldn't believe I'd be breathing hard after only a few minutes of running. Can't wait to see where this goes.

Day Two: April 23

Running today went fantastically. I started out with a brisk 7 minute warm up walk then alternated jogging and walking every 60-90 seconds. About 12 minutes into it was getting a little tired and stiff so I took a quick stretch break and kept going. I ended up running up a few hills behind Lissner and taking an extra long route so I did a total of 30 minutes not just 20. I came back to my dorm feeling refreshed and invigorated, not tired out. It felt good. I could have kept going "forever" - or course not really, but I would have gone longer. Didn't want to push too hard on my second day.

No comments:

Post a Comment