Sunday, August 8, 2010

French Silk Pie

It has been a tradition for many years that my wonderful Aunt Jodi would make me a French Silk Pie for my birthday. Mmmmmm My Favorite!! As things usually turn out she makes two pies. One for everyone else to share and one for me to keep for later. I'm very thankful this is the case :D.

Well, what do you know. This week I had some heavy whipping cream to use and my first thought...I'm going to make a pie.

It just so happens this pie making idea would be two days before my end of the year work picnic and we were supposed to bring a dish to pass. Could timing be more perfect?? I doubt it. I got the recipe from Jodi, and...well didn't follow it, but that's normal.

I looked up several online recipes and just kinda made up my own. The crusts were OK. The first pie was a bit runny. It was good as long as it was kept COLD, but the second pie was near perfection (from the way it looked and the lickings from the bowl tasted). I haven't actually eaten it yet, since my work party was a whopping 15 people and not very many people wanted pie I froze it for later. I'm not sure if french silk thaws very well, but I'll know soon. Overall, I was quite pleased with the way my pie turned out and I'm posting the secret wonderful birthday recipe now so all can enjoy in the unsurpassed deliciousness of my favorite dessert.


DISCLAIMER: I will never be able to make the pie taste just like Jodi (simply because she made it it's always going to taste the best) So please...don't stop making me pie for my birthday!! The pie pictured above is already frozen and is not in it's cosmetic prime.

French Silk Pie

Pie crusts
3/4 C Sugar
3/4 C butter
1 C semi-sweet choc chips (melted and cooled slightly)
3/4 C refrigerated or frozen egg product (go with refrigerated if you can find it)
1 tsp vanilla

Whipping cream or Cool Whip
Chocolate bar (to make chocolate curls)
  1. Prepare Baked Pastry Shell--I usually use Pillsbury ready to roll pie crusts. You can make your own crusts too.
  2. For filling: in large mixing bowl, beat 3/4 cup sugar and 3/4 cup butter (softened) with an electric mixer on medium speed about 4 minutes or till fluffy. Stir in one 6 oz. package (1 cup) melted and cooled semisweet chocolate chips and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Gradually add 3/4 cup refrigerated egg product, thawed, beating on high speed and scraping sides of bowl constantly t8ill light and fluffy.
  3. Transfer to Baked pastry shell. cover and chill for 5 to 24 hours. If desired, garnish with whipped cream and chocolate curls.



No comments:

Post a Comment