Thursday, March 17, 2016

Candle O Lard

Who knew you could make a candle from a bucket of lard?  I know there are many "tub of lard" jokes, but this is certainly not one of them.  In case of emergency, read below!!!  

Our insurance agency sent out a spring weather emergency preparedness guide.  A practical little pamphlet with ideas on how to handle various spring weather outcomes.  Make an emergency candle out of lard?  I had to try this!!

Two...wait...three years ago, when our family went diary free for a stint, I had purchased this bucket of lard on clearance at our local grocery store for $2.49....as the lid clearly states.  It came in handy for a few homemade tortillas and trying to keep the rabbits from eating our cucumbers out of the garden, at least that is what it was supposed to do.  Well, here we are years later with the old tub 'O chub that I for one reason or another had not yet dumped in the trash.

The instructions were simple:  place a string or cotton in the bucket and ignite.
Sounds easy enough, right?


At first I tried just pushing a cotton ball part way into the lard, but it burnt out quite quickly.  

The second time I took a cotton ball, dipped my fingers into the lard, and rolled in into a slimy little cocoon, then stuck it half way into the lard and lit. It worked!!



We also experimented with some Q-tips (upper left above), but were grossly unsuccessful.

What a fun little activity this was for my daughter and I.  It's so exciting that she is finally reaching an age where these things can be fun for both of us, and the scientist in me can slowly unleash all that I can't wait to teach my children.  There will be no shortage of science experiments in this household.  

Future, here we come!

Now it's your turn.  Let me know how it goes.







No comments:

Post a Comment