Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Does Packaging Really Matter?

This past week I put myself to shame. My "T" on the Myers Briggs personality test failed me, and was trumped by my cultural up bringing. I was in need of a product, something that is consumed, but that I only need to buy about once a year. As I strolled down the cosmetic isles at my local Target in search of my newest buy a million questions started buzzing through my head. What is the best brand? What color should I get? Which one is the best 'bang for my buck'? I have known that, as with most products, it is important to purchase products that will be used together by the same company. This could be shampoo/conditioner, face washes and moisturizer, etc. The companies design their products to work together so their chemical compounds do not have cross effects when combined. In the past I had mostly purchased Cover Girl, but I had a foundation I really liked from Maybeline and mascara from Neutrogena. See all over the board. I have decided to go for a mineral powder this time, and was considering going for something a little higher quality. So in my search I wasn't just looking for a new foundation, but rather the brand I would dedicate my shopping to for the indefinite future. The best thing they carry that I know of is Physicians Formula. I've heard good things about this company, and was pleased to find out they carry organic make-up. I'm and environmental science major, which DOES NOT mean I'm an organic freak, but the prospect that they were attempting to make a healthful, quality product was encouraging to me. I guess they are the first to have organic mascara, and the packaging is recyclable. I proceeded to look at the product and decided I didn't like the design of the container in which it was packaged (What??). So proceeded to buy a mineral powder foundation from an equally expensive (The physicians formula had a coupon bringing it down $2 from the $11 it normally was), lower quality company which had "cuter" packaging more like what I wanted. After getting to the car I realized my complete stupidity. Not only did I fall victim to the world of marketing and advertising (something I fight against succumbing to) I had also purchased a products of lesser quantity. Yep that’s right. Shameful isn't it. If you know me at all I'm a picky shopper to the max. I look at the nutrition facts to weight health benefits between two comparable products, then I look at the price....not overall, but per oz, per lb, whatever it may be. I don't always go with the 'cheapest' because I believe in quality over quantity, but I still take everything into account. So for me this was a terribly off character decision, so off that I traveled to a different Target (one closer to my school) and returned the stupid thing less than 30 minutes later, and bought the better quality, more for your money product. It turned out that the coupon at the second Target was better than the first and I got an $11 product for only $6. In make-up world that is a good deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment