Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Home Tour - Bunk Bed Room

Welcome to the Bunk Bed Room!

First up in our home tour is the bunk bed room.  Vague title I know, but since both of our children sleep in this room from time to time, it isn't really the sole property of our son or daughter, although it is our son's primary resting place.  It also doubles as a play room since we have not other official space to put the toys. 


A few features of this room include: a misc. frame collage that I made by painting mis-match frames I picked up at Goodwill and garage sales; an IKEA organizer, and a Target clearance rug.  The dresser (below left) was a $20 craigslist.com find that I spray painted and updated with new nobs.  It's amazing what I coat of paint can do.  Surprises me almost every time.  The bookshelf wall (below right) is my pride and joy.  It was over a year in the waiting, until I finally bought some wood and got to work this summer.  It is one of the first woodworking projects I have done completely from scratch and I'm so happy with how they turned out.  This little nook  between the door and the closet was otherwise wasted space, with the floor vent below we couldn't really put anything there.  This makes corralling the books a little easier and the lower shelves are easy for my toddlers to reach and put the books away by themselves.

  

Off the one side of the bunk bedroom is a little sitting room.  At one point it appears to have been a very tiny room of it's own.  When we first moved in, we used it as a small play room, but I found toys were being dragged out into the larger space so we converted it into an honorary "nursery".  My son's crib was in here until he eventually graduated to a toddler bed, and now the bottom bunk (which he calls "top").  We've left the crib up in case of visitors and to be ready when we have our new baby in March.  


Love the animal print blanket and valence?  The "theme" of this room was originally elephants.  As we've transitioned over time it's more and more difficult to tell, but you can get this fabric HERE.  It's called Zoology by Michael Miller.  It comes in a variety of color schemes, but I chose "sea" because it's so gender neutral. Use left over pieces of fabric to fill the frames in the collage. Take a closer look in the upper right below!


No comments:

Post a Comment