Thursday, November 17, 2016

Loopy Love Crochet Hats

I have been on a crochet baby hat marathon over the last couple months.  I ran across this pattern on Pinterest and it is so simple, and quick.  I can usually finish a baby size hat in a couple hours.

I first started making baby hats for our soon-to-be son or daughter, then matching ones from my older kids as a gift for when the baby comes. Since we aren't finding out the gender I had to make one of each color...just in case.  It then expanded to making hats for several friends who are having babies, a couple of Christmas gifts, and...well, you get the picture.  

You can get the full pattern and directions from Moogly.  I modified the pattern just slightly,  the two things I did differently were:

1)  Instead of doing only three chains in Round 2.  I just skipped the second step and went directly from 6 sc in the magic ring to six loops (which is what you have at the end of round 3) by doing one [sc, ch 3, dc] in each of the original 6 stitches.  I found this to make the top of the hat lay flatter.  I followed the directions for my blue hat and made the improvisation in the pink hat.  The blue hat seems to have more of a "bump" of bulk at the start.

2)  The second change I made was that I didn't change my hook size for the brim.  I just used the same hook the whole way...makes the hat less of a beanie and more straight through the end. On some of the hats I left the brim off completely and just ended with a scalloped edge (below).  


Happy Stitching!  

Let me know how it goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment